Monday 16 May 2011

Pateints Comment - 7

My Story,

I am a leukemia survivor and blood stem cell transplant recipient. After treatment left me infertile, I heard about Dr. Silber and the ovarian transplants he was doing. It sounded like science fiction, but it wasn’t!

I was so lucky to have an identical twin sister. We were adopted from Korea when we were 14 months old. We thought that we were fortunate to have been adopted together—little did we know how fortunate it was! Rachel was able to donate the blood stem cells as well as the ovary. Dr. Silber did the surgery.

I began to ovulate about 3-4 months after the transplant! It was truly amazing. The road to pregnancy was still not straightforward. I had two miscarriages which were heartbreaking and so when I got pregnant for the third time, it was difficult to believe it would actually work. But after the first ultrasound that showed a strong heartbeat, and the second that showed the fetus developing normally, we started to believe it was real.

I gave birth to my son, Miles, in November 2009. He is so precious. Both my husband and I are ecstatic. Dr. Silber provides new hope to women who once thought they would never be able to give birth.

If you can dream it, Google it, and maybe you’ll find a Dr. Silber on the other end!

Nate, Anna, and Miles Heard
Washington, DC
and
Rachel Cederberg
Colorado Springs, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment